The 9th Annual
Independent Film Festival Boston:
April 27 - May 4, 2011
2011 Festival Jury Members
- Dan Nuxoll
- Dan Nuxoll has worked with Rooftop Films since 1998 and has been the full-time Program Director there since 2002, helping to develop Rooftop Films into the largest outdoor screening series for independent films in North America. He has brought outdoor screenings to venues across North America and Europe.
- Bryan Poyser
- Bryan Poyser’s first feature, DEAR PILLOW, earned him an Independent Spirit “Someone to Watch” Award nomination. Bryan’s latest feature was LOVERS OF HATE (IFFBoston 2010) which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. Bryan currently serves as the Director of Artist Services for the Austin Film Society.
- Stephen Tobolowsky
- Stephen Tobolowsky is a legendary character actor. You have said: “Hey, it’s that guy!” about him in films and TV shows too numerous to list here, but they include Glee, Heroes, Entourage, Deadwood, The West Wing, MEMENTO, THELMA AND LOUISE, SPACEBALLS, and GROUNDHOG DAY, where he played Ned Ryerson.
- Chico Colvard
- Chico Colvard teaches “race, law & media” related courses at the University of Massachusetts, Boston. He is a former Filmmaker-in-Residence at WGBH in Boston and a recent Sundance Institute Creative Producing Fellow. His first feature documentary, FAMILY AFFAIR (IFFBoston Audience Award winner 2010) was the first film acquired by Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Network.
- Ashley Sabin
- Ashley Sabin (along with directing partner, David Redmon) has directed the feature-length documentaries MARDI GRAS: MADE IN CHINA (IFFBoston 2005), KAMP KATRINA (IFFBoston 2007), INTIMIDAD (IFFBoston 2008), and INVISIBLE GIRLFRIEND (IFFBoston 2009). She is currently in post with Redmon on their latest film, GIRL MODEL, set to premiere in late 2011.
- Jason Spingarn-Koff
- Jason Spingarn-Koff is a New York-based filmmaker and journalist who specializes in the intersection of science, technology, and society. His previous work has appeared on PBS (NOVA, Frontline/World), BBC, MSNBC, Time, and Wired News. He is a graduate of Brown University and the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism.
- Lena Dunham
- Lena Dunham was named one of Filmmaker Magazine’s “25 New Faces of Independent Film” in 2009. Her feature writing/directing debut TINY FURNITURE (IFFBoston 2010) was released theatrically by IFC and was just announced as the latest addition to the Criterion Collection. She is currently developing a new HBO series with Judd Apatow.
- Barry Jenkins
- Barry Jenkins was dubbed by Filmmaker Magazine as one of the “25 New Faces of Independent Film” in 2008. His feature film debut, MEDICINE FOR MELANCHOLY (IFFBoston 2008), was released in theaters by IFC Films and hailed as one of the best films of 2009 by A.O. Scott of The New York Times.
- Alison Willmore
- Alison Willmore is a film journalist and critic. She is a founding editor of IFC.com’s award-winning news site, and a former host of both the IFC News podcast and the daily web series “Lunchbox.” Her writing has also appeared in Wired, The Threepenny Review, Time Out Chicago and Time Out New York.